I’m Moving to Spain!!!

moving to spain

I’ve decided to make the leap! I’m leaving Nashville and moving to Spain after the birth of my baby girl in June! You may or may not know this about me, but the only time I ever lived abroad was in Sevilla, the southern Andalusian region of Spain.Β It quickly became home to me, and I’ve missed it ever since.

I’ve stayed in touch with friends living there, and over the years, we’ve talked about putting together a reunion visit. After much correspondence; back and forth emails and Skype calls and Google chats, it turns out that there is an opportunity for me that I can not pass up.

moving to spain

Flamenco dancers

I’m going to be a Flamenco dancer!! I’ve been a dancer my entire life. Mom had me enrolled in Powell-MoΓ―se school of dance at the age of four. I went on to compete nationally with my high school lyrical dance team.

When I lived in Spain in 2003, I fell in love with the Flamenco. The subtle, rhythmic movements, coordinated perfectly to the Spanish guitar strumming, hands clapping, feet stomping, castanets clicking; its the most beautiful, sultry dance in the world.

My friends helped me find a two-bedroom apartment in Barrio Santa Cruz, one of the best neighborhoods in the city. There’s a perfect sun-lit room for baby girl’s nursery.

moving to spain

My daughter is going to have the coolest , prettiest Spanish girlfriends!

I’ve always dreamed of raising a bilingual child. I knew I wanted to travel with my children to teach them to appreciate and learn about other cultures. This opportunity to now live abroad, in one of my favorite cities and countries, and raise her with the rich Andalusian culture, is too good to be true!

I wonder what my husband will say when he finds out? We only just bought our home here in Nashville (about nine months ago). I’m not sure if he will want to quit his job or sell our home. Maybe he can just commute to see me and the baby. We could take turns visiting each other. Hmmm. I hope he’s OK with this decision!

moving to spain

Hopefully he won’t come after me with the chainsaw!

Well, that is my big news. I’m curious if anyone else out there has a major, life-changing event or story today, this first day of April? I’d love to hear about it!

Who’s a fool? Are you a fool? I’m no fool!Β

, , , , ,

27 Responses to I’m Moving to Spain!!!

1. Alison and Don April 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM #

OMG Lindsey you got me lol. When you got to the bit about your husband not knowing I was aghast! So was Don. Tee hee hee. Well done.
    PS I bet you’d be a great Flamenco dancer!

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM #

Haha- Thanks, Alison! Was trying to think of something that was believable but not horrid! πŸ˜‰ I’ve never actually tried Flamenco, but I do LOVE the dance! IT’s so beautiful and soulful!

2. Ann Marie Raftice April 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM #

You nearly had me for a min there Linds! I thought I was sorted with a holiday home in spain at weekends!

Hope all is well. Talk soon x

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM #

Well, maybe we should go ahead and get that holiday home in Spain anyways, Raf!! πŸ˜‰ Gosh, can’t wait to get back to Ireland to visit ya! Are the kids still coming this summer? Yogi, Jo and them?

3. Trips By Lance April 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM #

I was trying to run through my head how long it would take you to get in dancing shape after having the baby.

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM #

Ahhh haha! Awesome Lance! I didn’t even think of it from that perspective. hahaha!

4. Antonette Spaan April 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM #

Great story πŸ™‚ and happy April 1st!

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM #

Happy April Fool’s Day!!

5. Eileen April 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM #

Hahahaha I TOTALLY fell for this. Most likely because I love Sevilla and lived there and thought wow, good for her! Then I got to the husband part & thought…is she mental?!

Nice job πŸ™‚

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM #

Not mental! Though sometimes I do employ this method with my travels (except it’s more of, I’ll mention things to hubs about a trip, and it doesn’t register or gets ignored, then later it’s like, wait, what’s going on?) Need to work on our communication skills! I’m going to start using one of those massive desk calendars. It’s in the kitchen right now… Yes, Sevilla is wonderful, and I knew this would get some people because I always talk about how much I looooved living there. Man, it’s going to be hard to top this one next year. My sisters said they weren’t fooled, though. So maybe it wasn’t that great of an April fools..

6. passportsandpamplemousse April 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM #

this is the most exciting news I have heard all day! You go girl!! πŸ™‚ all the best to you!

7. passportsandpamplemousse April 1, 2014 at 2:36 PM #

ah. april april… got it… I still think you should move to spain!

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM #

I DO love Spain! That part wasn’t a joke! I loved living there in 2003. I’d definitely be up for an extended visit! I would love love love to live somewhere abroad for a year or two.. but I don’t know if that’s in the cards for us. Not until much later anyway… Maybe we could “summer” in places around the world. ha!

8. Dee April 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM #

Ahhh! You got me! Hahahaha! Nice one!

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM #

I’ve been getting lots of people with this one, Dee! πŸ˜‰

9. Sara Catella April 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM #

That’s a great news Lindsay!!! And you will be in the old continent! I’ll be srely there to take a Flamenco class with you πŸ™‚

• Lindsay April 1, 2014 at 11:20 PM #

Haha- Sara, it’s an April Fool’s joke (do y’all do that in Bern?) πŸ˜‰ Not really moving to Spain… but we can still flamenco together!

10. Kristy Tolley (@KristyTolley) April 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM #

Great post! I want to move to Spain now! πŸ™‚

• Lindsay April 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM #

It’s a pretty cool place to live!

11. alliblair April 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM #

Love it! You almost had me there!

12. Kim Miller April 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM #

OMG, was sitting here with my jaw on the floor. I couldn’t believe that (a) you were leaving your husband to be a dancer in Spain and (b) that you had not even told HIM yet what your plans were! Phew! I was so happy to see this was an April Fool’s post … Lord you got me but good lmao!

• Lindsay April 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM #

Looks like I’m still getting people, Kim! I just told my husband (who doesn’t read my blog) last night… “Oh, I wrote an April Fools post telling everyone I was moving to Spain and we’d have to commute to see each other.” His response: “Huh. OK…”

13. Carpe Travel April 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM #

Totally fell for it. Good one. πŸ˜‰

• Lindsay April 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM #

Tehehe- thanks, Elaine!

14. Bassman August 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM #

We had the bright idea to move to Spain and it was by far the worst experience of my life, the Spanish will think of nothing to lie to foreigners and steal their money, the only saving grace is that their miserable country is going down the toilet and it is all self inflicted.
    We are really lucky in North America, I know many people have this fantasy about moving because life in America is too money driven, but people fail to realize that you have to eat. The spanish have sold out their youth (56% youth unemployment!!) that most of them are leaving, never to return, as they see their prospects of being self sufficient slipping away as the country descends back into the Franco days. So for those of you especially with children think twice before you move them to a country that is economically finished.

• Lindsay February 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM #

Oh wow. Thank you for sharing your experience and perspective. When did you move to Spain, and how long did you live there? It’s been strange to watch the country fall in to economic upheaval. It sounds like you + your family were wronged in some ways while living there. I’m sorry you had such a bad experience. Perhaps I didn’t live there long enough- or at a time that was economically so dire- to experience a lot of that same negativity (although there were definitely red flags for me that would have given me pause to move their permanently, like the way their health care system operates, and the lack of accountability. For example, a friend went in for an emergency surgery and the doctor took out her ovary without her consent because of a cyst. That was pretty shocking).