Celebrating Autumn and My 1st Blogiversary!

Part of me thinks a blogiversary is a silly thing to celebrate or even mention. The word just sounds silly, doesn’t it? Sure, it’s a milestone. Maybe it is worth a mention. A year ago today, I published my first post. I didn’t really know where it would lead, but in a year, I’ve traveled for 14 weeks around Southeast Asia, Africa, and South America, was chosen as a BlogHouse participant, went to my first TBEX (Travel Blog Exchange conference), worked with Visit Baton Rouge on a PR and marketing campaign, collaborated with other bloggers and travel companies, and most recently attended KEEN Digital Media Summit here in Nashville. These might not seem like massive accomplishments to an outsider, but I know that I’ve learned and grown so much more than I thought possible. And I know this blog will continue to exponentially develop over the next year.

Fall Forward

So, to commemorate my 365 days of blogging, I thought I’d revisit The Traveluster’s beginnings. Other than my initial post, the first four articles I wrote here focused on my favorite season: fall.

autumn

1. I wrote about falling in love with the season for the first time while living in Washington DC. Growing up in the deep south, we weren’t exposed to technicolored leaves or crisp, fall days. No, we had 2.5 seasons: really hot, hot, and somewhat cold (for about 2 months). The leaves went straight to brown and ground. When I moved to DC in 2003, I fell captive to autumn’s allure. The cozy days curled up by a fire with a pumpkin spice latte, strolling down Georgetown’s cobblestoned streets in the fall, hiking in Shenandoah National Park when the leaves were peaking… Read the original post here.

autumn

Perfect fall hues in Shenandoah National Park

2. When I first moved to Nashville, I continued my love affair with fall. The leaves peak a bit later this far south, but the solid seasonal sensation still yields the same nostalgic effects. Alan and I enjoyed lots of nature hikes with our furry nephew Jager. Read the post here autumn
  3. On a thematic roll here, I threw out a post about fall in England… and New England. Oxford, London, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, these were all places I experienced the majesty of fall during my eight year stint in DC. Read the post here.

autumn

Sophisticated fall foliage in the UK

4. Lastly, a fun little fashion spoof: How to Accessorize Your Dog for Fall. autumn

Fall…Elsewhere

Here are some great fall links around the web:

In case you missed that pumpkin spice latte link above, you should watch this hilarious 3 minute videoPumpkin Spice The Movie.

Check out America’s Best Fall Color Drives from Travel + Leisure. Shenandoah NP is on the list!

C’est Christine talks about apple picking in upstate NY and fall becoming her favorite season in NYC.

A roundup of 10 decadent fall food blog posts that will leave you salivating and pinning these photos like crazy!

The Morning Call has some articles about fall, including hunting season.

Do you have any fall links or stories to add? I’d love to hear from you! Happy Autumn!

, ,

22 Responses to Celebrating Autumn and My 1st Blogiversary!

1. zof November 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM #

happy blogiversary! congratulations!

2. Alouise Dittrick November 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM #

Happy Blogiversary Lindsay! You’ve done a lot with The Travel Luster in just your first year. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

Also I love autumn. I think it’s my favourite season, probably because it’s so short. Where I live the leaves start turning colours at the very end of August/beginning of September, and often my mid-October the leaves are all gone, either because the wind gusts it all down or because snow has already fallen.

• Lindsay November 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM #

Thanks, Alouise! Yea, you Canadians have those early fall/winters!

3. Trips By Lance (@tripsbylance) November 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM #

Congrats and keep on keeping on. Nice posts about fall. It’s probably my favorite season. As a kid it was summer because of no school. But now I find that I travel the most in the fall, partially because I usually do guy trips to football games. I don’t have anything planned for this month except Thanksgiving in Middle Tennessee and I already think I’m restless for travel. But the bank account needs a break.

• Lindsay November 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM #

Thanks, Lance! I’m with you. I loved summer as a kid b/c of no school (even morbidly miserable hot summers in Louisiana!), but that quickly lost it’s appeal when I had to start working in the summers!

4. Mark Angelo Askew November 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM #

Great job. I’m really into the seasons myself. Love them all. But somehow Autumn warms the heart and stirs the soul. I find I do a lot of musing while at the same time my creative juices are at their peak. What is it about this season?

• Lindsay November 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM #

Hey Mark, I think it’s the change, the crisp air, and the anticipation of the family-oriented holidays of the season ahead! The colors, the harvest, and people in general just get really excited about fall. It’s infectious!

5. Marionberry Style November 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM #

Oh my gosh – has it been a year already!!?? That is insane. And absolutely you deserve a congrats…blogging is a ton of work and most never make it a full year.
    Love you!!

• Lindsay November 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM #

Thanks for the support Mar!

6. Karisa November 11, 2013 at 2:47 AM #

Happy Blogiversary! I love the word, even if it is silly! 😉

7. Colleen Brynn November 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM #

The weather in the deep south, as you say, sounds like the weather in Winnipeg, where I’m from… but for very different reasons. Our seasons are winter, mosquito season and construction season. 😐
    (I love fall too!)

• Lindsay November 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM #

Ha- I like that, Colleen. Construction season. Y’all get mosquitos up there? 😉

8. Elaine November 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM #

Happy Blogiversary! I am super impressed by how comprehensive your blog is, given you have only been doing it for a year! Cheers to you, keep it up!

• Lindsay November 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM #

Thanks, Elaine! I appreciate that!

9. Paul November 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM #

I liked your shots, especially the fall doggie. I’d like to share some autumn shots from Canada’s beautiful Niagara region — these were taken just down the river from the falls a couple of weeks ago: http://wp.me/p3TW9s-6p

10. Paul November 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM #

Almost forgot — happy blogversary! I think you’ve accomplished a lot in one year. As a new blogger, I know the challenges involved. Congrats!

• Lindsay November 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM #

Thanks! You have some great photos! I love Niagara!

11. Traceable Travels (@TraceableTravel) February 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM #

Congrats on your blogiversary! Sounds like you’ve had a full year already and I’m sure you’ll accomplish a lot in the future! Love this autumn feature too.

1. Toronto Highlights- The Traveluster - June 3, 2014

[…] conference, TBEX, which stands for Travel Blog Exchange. Although I celebrated my first “blogiversary” in November of 2013, I didn’t start to take blogging very seriously until I was […]