I’m Tired of Travel

I can’t believe I’m thinking, much less saying typing this, but I’m a little tired of travel at the moment.

Let me preface by saying that I’ve recently purchased a home with my husband (our first together), after a long and tumultuous tri-state shuffle between Washington, DC- Louisiana – Tennessee. I should write more about this- our beautiful home. And I will. It’s been a major feat- a triumphant achievement, after hemming and hawing, searching and viewing (hundreds of houses). We finally found the perfect one.

Our new home is like a mountain retreat, in the densely wooded hills of Nashville, just minutes from the city. It’s almost like living in a vacation home….but more on that later.

This is the first time, in probably two years, that I’ve started to feel a little bit settled. We finally have our cat back. Our darling Sosuke has been co-habitating with three other feline friends at my parents-in-law’s home in Baton Rouge. They were adoring grandparents who happily looked after Sos until we could plant roots somewhere.

tired of travel

Sosuke likes to climb ladders (at his grandparent’s house)

tired of travel

He likes practicing yoga, too (at our mountain retreat home)

The past two years have, in general, been quite tumultuous for me. My husband took a job in Nashville while I was still working at The State Department in DC. Shortly after, my mom passed away, and I was sort of thrown out of orbit in to this weird limbo. I felt drawn to Baton Rouge to be with family, but I also felt drawn to Nashville to be with my husband. We didn’t have our own home, so that impeded any opportunity to really start a fresh, new life together.

Fast forward to now

At long last, we have our dream home, our little family together, in a city we love with new friends we adore. Then there’s the travel….

I’ve never concealed the fact that I have vying, dichotomous needs; one to travel and one to nest. I need to have a home base, a great kitchen to experimental cook in, a community of friends and family, a few boring routines, a yard to plant, a house to decorate. It keeps me on track. It soothes my soul. On the other hand, I have this burning, insatiable curiosity about the world, this unquenchable appetite to travel- to experience, learn, LIVE. I definitely think you can have both of these dueling”lifestyles,” but it is a struggle to balance the two at times.

My upcoming travel schedule is fairly hectic. I’m not hopping the pond over to Dublin next week for TBEX (like I originally planned…BUMMER!!). I’m not even leaving the country for the foreseeable future. OK, well, maybe not until December. But I am traveling around the U.S. and will be gone from my new home (and my Sosuke!) every weekend for the next month. Just thinking about it is daunting.

I hope I don’t sound bratty. It’s really a strange place for me to be, mentally and emotionally. I LOVE to travel. Even if it’s just back to my hometown of Baton Rouge, to mix it up a bit culturally and see family. So I find myself…. at odds with myself, if that makes any sense. Why am I feeling so drained? Why am I wishing I could stay instead of go? I don’t think I’ve ever felt that way before in my life?

Then it hit me. It’s because I finally have something great to stay FOR. I’m building something with my family that is OURS, and it feels RIGHT. It feels like HOME. I think after having 2-3 tumultuous years, it’s what my exhausted soul has craved more than anything. Warmth, stability, (good) habits, community, a home.

I apologize for any inherent whining. I just think it’s an interesting thing to reflect on and share. People value all sorts of different things in their lives, and I think it’s ok when those values are sometimes conflicting. It keeps things interesting, anyway.

October Travel

So, where exactly am I going over the next month?  (In case you’re interested)

Georgia

We’re driving to a town just north of Atlanta tomorrow for a dear friend’s wedding. It will be a weekend of bocce ball, horseshoes, good food and good times with friends and family.

North Carolina

tired of travel

I shot this in Nashville very close to our home (last year)! Hoping the trees in NC will look like this in 2 weeks!

My dad invited me and Alan to visit him and his girlfriend for the weekend. They rented a house in The Highlands. Alan and I love Smokey Mountain National Park (aka The Smokies), and I haven’t been to the Highlands since I was a teenager. I’m looking forward to crisp, fall air, fiery foliage and great hikes. Hoping to get some good shots for the blog (and just for me) while there. Maybe I can practice photography with Dad. He’s pretty good…

Utah

Last summer, Alan kept telling me that the next trip he was taking was to the desert. So I bought him a “trip” for his birthday (two tickets on Southwest, which we used for another wedding trip to DC instead, so now we’re flying Delta). We were originally heading to Tuscon, AZ, but he seemed more interested in seeing Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Therefore, we’re flying to Vegas instead, where I’m hoping I can see my dear friend Marion and finally meet her new son, Cooper! Then we’ll have 4.5 days in the parks. I’ve already started soliciting ideas from fellow travel bloggers, but if you’ve been to Bryce or Zion, I would love to hear your suggestions in the comments below!

Baton Rouge

tired of travel

My new sister!

I’m heading “home” (my other home) to co-host my new sis-in-law’s baby shower! I’m so excited about having a nephew and can’t wait to meet baby Ace!

Looking forward

You may see a couple of posts in the near future about these long-weekend breaks. Especially North Carolina and Utah!

If I’m honest about my editorial calendar (since I clearly have one- yea right!), I’m inspired to recall one of my all-time favorite girls’ trips to Ireland in the coming weeks. WIth TBEX happening in Dublin next week, I guess reminiscing about my amazing experience driving around the Emerald Isle is the next best thing to being there. I have some pretty hilarious videos to share (well, they’re funny to me, anyway)!

So, until next week. Happy Friday!

Don’t forget to include any suggestions you have for our trip to Bryce and Zion below! I’ll feature your recommendations in the blog!

, , , , ,

26 Responses to I’m Tired of Travel

1. Sara Catella September 27, 2013 at 3:32 AM #

Hey Lindsay! I can relate to your feelings, even though my love for travelling is still dominant in my life against to my need to have a place to call home! I totally understand your feeling to have finally you home…and this is also a new journey…like life is 🙂 Enjoy your new home and looking forward to your next posts!

• Lindsay September 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM #

Sara, Yes, my traveling urge will always dominate all others in my life except family and home, but it will be a tug-of-war between the two- for life!

2. Brooke September 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM #

Linds! I just got back from the Highlands area. Love that place! Eat at the Old Edwards Inn…so yum. Looks like you’ll be busy over the next few months. Maybe I’ll catch you over the holidays…? The kids and I can come visit you next spring when after we settle in our new home. Can’t wait to see your new place. You can cook us some de-lish meals in that fab kitchen of yours.

• Lindsay September 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM #

B- was that where y’all were in the Facebook photo? Highlands? It looked hilly and lush. Y’all are too cute with you babes on your backs. Come see us this spring in Nashville. I love that idea!

3. Trips By Lance September 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM #

Nothing wrong with wanting to have a home life. We have a very active home life and travel life. They are not separate. It’s just our lives. I think it helps for travelers to have a home base in a city that has a lot going on AND they are active in that coolness. We’re always doing things in Memphis. It’s like we’re traveling every weekend (well, not this weekend with a kid who has three soccer games). Maybe we’ll see you in a month in Nashville.

• Lindsay September 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM #

Lance, I hope we do see you in Nashville soon!!

4. Marionberry Style September 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM #

Umm, yes please to Vegas!! Cooper needs to meet his Aunt Lindsay and Uncle Alan!! xoxo
    And I love this post Linds. Isn’t it funny how we sometimes go through ups + downs with our passions? Having a home is a big deal and nesting is an important urge I think many of us women have…I just know you’ll make it gorgeous! I really do need to come (bummed it didn’t work out this summer) visit.
    Love and miss you tons!!!
    xo – Marion

• Lindsay September 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM #

Can’t wait Mar! It will be a quick visit, but you and Crys should come to Nash soon!

5. Colleen Brynn September 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM #

I definitely don’t think there is anything wrong with having these two conflicting lifestyles. I am of the same school of thought, and I don’t like how a lot of travel bloggers pigeonhole themselves, thinking that that’s what they must do to be authentic. All travel is travel, and just because I didn’t give up my corporate job, break up with my boyfriend and sell all of my belongings doesn’t mean my stories (or yours) are any less valuable and worthwhile.
    Beautiful shot of the leaves – what colour!
    I hope you enjoy your upcoming travels. They sound fun and definitely cozy!

• Lindsay September 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM #

Thanks, Colleen, and I completely agree. I know I will never be a nomad, but I will also never stop traveling. I’ll keep sharing my stories, too! Thanks for the encouraging words!

• Kay November 21, 2015 at 2:22 AM #

Hi I just stumbled upon your comment and I just want to say I totally agree with you when you say, “just because I didn’t give up my corporate job, break up with my boyfriend and sell all of my belongings doesn’t mean my stories (or yours) are any less valuable and worthwhile.”

Lately I’ve been feeling like this travel/nomad lifestyle culture has been glorified and it’s making people feel bad for having a 9 to 5 job. It’s like all of sudden having a 9 to 5 job is so terrible and “soul-sucking” and everyone should just quit and travel instead. Yes traveling is amazing but people can learn and experience different cultures right in their hometown or even close to it.

Sorry for rambling!

• Lindsay February 5, 2016 at 9:39 AM #

ABSOLUTELY! There are some great posts floating around debunking the “always wonderful, care-free” lifestyle of the travel blogger nomad. Most are written by travel bloggers themselves! Wandering Earl does a good job showing an objective side. Nomadic Matt too. Plenty of others. It’s a job, like anything else. And I think more often than not, travel bloggers can get easily burned out from the work AND the travel! Anyway, after traveling to 83 countries, I’ve found that the richest, most enlightening LIFE experiences I’ve had have happened in my own back yard. For certain!

6. Wondernuts September 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM #

You have so much on your plate right now, I don’t blame you for feeling that way. We went on our honeymoon for a month and then three weeks later went to Vancouver and I was like, “whoa, too much right now.” You need time to breathe sometimes.

• Lindsay September 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM #

I agree! I’m a bigger fan of the planned-out, multiple week trip. I prefer longer travel, less frequently.

7. Michael October 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM #

I know this feeling super well. I can’t wait till we get to Mexico tomorrow and just sit in one place for a long time. After 6 months in Mexico, we’re also looking to settle somewhere for a year or more.

• Lindsay October 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM #

Sounds like a dream! I’m excited for y’all! I may have to come visit 😉

8. Lynlea Rudell October 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM #

Please post some pictures, I wanna see your house!

• Lindsay October 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM #

Will do Lyn! It’s looking good here!!

9. Lisa Lubin | LLWorldTour October 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM #

Yep…I’m with you. I wrote a similar post about 6 months ago — about traveling a bit less. I love it, but also love building a community and having a homebase. There is NO wrong way to travel and to live! Congrats on your new home. Love your kitty! 🙂

• Lindsay October 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM #

Thanks, Lisa! I’m finding I definitely prefer traveling from a homebase now! And yes, my kitty is the best!

10. Michel Orobona March 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM #

Perfectly understandable. When something is no longer a pastime, but becomes something that has to be done, it leaves the category of a hobby and becomes work. When you fill your own quota and no one else’s it will all work out. Home, family and roots are important too. If everyone was a nomad there wouldn’t be any of these unique cultures to visit in the first place.

• Lindsay March 16, 2014 at 5:50 AM #

Michel, that is one of the best things I’ve ever heard: “If everyone was a nomad there wouldn’t be any of these unique cultures to visit in the first place.” Thank you!

11. Jim Avitable September 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM #

Hi Lindsay,

I have travelled extensively in the highlands and cashiers area in Nc. It is a beautiful area and those smokies are absolutely gorgeous! I spent many family trips with my kids at my In-laws cabin in Waynesville and travelled all around the state. Did some white water rafting where deliverance was filmed and other rivers.

We now have a place in Utah and absolutely love this state! We recently retired and went to Bryce and Zion last year for several days! It has to be seen to be appreciated! I think that there was place in Bryce called Inspiration Point. WOW not to be missed. Zion is also very beautiful, but we didn’t see all of it.

We currently have a house in Florida also that we will be selling so we can travel more. Our kids are grown and plan to travel all over the Midwest and Europe.

Good luck in all your travels and in handling your different desires. It is difficult.

• Lindsay September 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM #

Thanks, Jim, for the well-wishes! It’s funny that you mentioned both out “West” and the Smokies in your comment because I just returned from Montana and am about to go to the Smokies again (next month)- the Tennessee side this time! (near Knoxville). I’m looking forward to some near-term state-side travel for the time being (may head to Austin, TX to see family and definitely back to Louisiana a few times for the holidays- family). We may branch out and do international with baby next year.
      Yes, the parks out West are extremely striking and awe-inspiring. I’m hoping to get out there more often!!

1. Why Ireland is the Ultimate Girls Trip Destination - The Traveluster - October 1, 2013

[…] you enjoyed these humorous videos. I almost got this up for Movie Monday (sorry, twas traveling)! Stay tuned for more Ireland highlights in the coming […]

2. Rebellious Hiking during US Government Shutdown - October 11, 2013

[…] top of that, we were forced to cancel our trip out West to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks, since national parks and forests are also […]