Movie Monday: Skydiving the Namib Desert in Swakopmund Namibia

img_21281

We’re going to mix things up a bit this Monday, getting away from wildlife and focusing more on adventure. Lately, I’ve noticed a lot of conversations around skydiving: people wanting to try it, some who have already booked it, people who would never consider doing it, and those talking about how amazingly awesome their experience was. Personally, I’m very glad I jumped out of a plane over the Namib desert. If I hadn’t been attached to someone else, though, I might not have gone through with that final push. Check it out!

We used Ground Rush Adventures and were very pleased with our experience. They were professional and fun, and we also felt very safe in their care.

Have you ever been skydiving? Do you want to go? Where would you go? People tend to want mountains, ocean or desert for their skydiving expereince. Or does the location even matter? Would the Namib Desert be your choice?

, , ,

10 Responses to Movie Monday: Skydiving the Namib Desert in Swakopmund Namibia

1. Susan Chollette Loudermilk June 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM #

Spectacular!!

2. Expat Eye June 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM #

I did it in New Zealand over Lake Taupo and it was amazing! But like you said, I had someone strapped to my back also – not sure I would have done it otherwise either!

• The Traveluster June 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM #

I agree, fully. Don’t know if I could do it solo! I wanted to do it in New Zealand. I’ll be it was amazing with the mountains and all!

• Expat Eye June 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM #

It was pretty spectacular alright. Although looking at your video after all this time, I’m amazed I did it at all! I was terrified beforehand but weirdly calm on the plane (while someone else vomited constantly!) and then shuffling forward towards the door… what an experience!

• The Traveluster June 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM #

Ah-haha! Oh no! Someone vomited on your plane?! Was your plane as tiny as mine was, with the open side the whole time? I kind of can’t believe I did it either, although I will say that bungee jumping was MUCH scarier to me! I’ll probably never do that again. It was nuts!!

3. westiedad June 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM #

I also did my skydiving in New Zealand, and loved it – but I’m a bit biased. I was trying to get my favourite song in my head one last time on the flight up, just in case it all went horribly wrong, but the tandem guys kept asking me for tax advice for their business. I never got to charge them either!

• The Traveluster June 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM #

Haha! That’s hilarious! Good distraction tactic, though! From your email, you’re based in New Zealand? Where abouts? I’m knee-deep in a Fourth of July on Fox Glacier post. Man, reliving our time there makes me miss it way too much. I really think we could live there!

• westiedad June 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM #

Yes, I’m a kiwi, born, bred and based in Auckland. I’ll look out for the Fox Glacier post. I’m a North Islander, but Fox is a great spot. The glacier climb was fun, but the water for the rafting was freezing! I’ll let you tell the story!

1. Movie Monday: Bungee Jumping over the Zambezi River at Victoria Falls | The Traveluster - June 17, 2013

[…] you caught last Monday’s movie of me skydiving in Namibia, you may have noticed that I was on a bit of an adrenaline-adventure kick while in Africa. Part of […]

2. Toronto Highlights- The Traveluster - June 3, 2014

[…] I was just too cheap to pay $175 for this fascinating experience. (I mean, c’mon…  Skydiving in Namibia was […]