Movie Monday: Crocodile Attack!

Crocodile Attack Botswana

OK, so the title Crocodile Attack is a bit dramatic. The croc in question wasn’t exactly a massive, snarling beast, and he didn’t actually attack me (maybe he was a she, but “he” sounds more fierce). I’m no Steve Irwin, but I am a Louisiana native. So, we could draw some Swamp People parallels, here (substitute crocodile with alligator, though).

This video was shot in Chobe National Park in Botswana, Africa. Apparently the driver was not supposed to pull our boat right on top of up to potentially dangerous animals, such as, say, a CROCODILE!

Crocodile Attack Botswana

Crocodile Attack Botswana

Crocodile Attack Botswana

What I find so hilarious in this video is not the juvenile crocodile lunging at my head but the squeals of fright and commentary form my international peer group of travelers (on a G Adventures tour) in all their delightful accents. Listen carefully. You will hear German, Korean, Swiss, Irish, American…. and my friend Heidi, proclaiming, “I sought he’s gonna get you!” I just love that. Melting pot of experiencers.

I’m delighted that I caught the whole thing on video, but maybe I was a little too lucky? I guess it’s just a small taste of what reporters and crew experience covering conflicts in a war zone! (Random comparison, I know. My mind always drifts towards conflict scenarios).

So, maybe the squeals shreaks are mostly mine; I was on the front line… Don’t you love my overzealous (repetitive) affirmation to my friends that “I got that on video!!” I was so proud of myself. Amazing that I kept my head.

Crocodile Attack Botswana

Gah! Such a display of hubris!

Do you have a story about any near-misses with wild animals? I’d love to hear them!

, , ,

7 Responses to Movie Monday: Crocodile Attack!

1. jillabon June 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM #

Holy Crickee! That video is incredible!!!

2. Sara Catella June 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM #

Ahahahaha it was soooooo scary and funny at the same time!!! still in my hears Heidi saying “I thought he’s gonna get you” !!!

3. Heidi June 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM #

Hey Ladies I really thought the crocodile will get us:-)

4. Heidi June 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM #

Hey Ladies I really “sought” 😉 the crocodile will get us

5. Brittany @ Paws for Beer June 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM #

I live in Idaho so my near misses are usually moose darting out in front of me while driving down the highway. So far I’ve been successful in dodging them! As for while traveling I had a pretty exciting bison encounter last year in the Badlands. He was probably further away than I thought he was – but it was still pretty scary to see a bull bison in my viewfinder of my camera walking towards me.

• The Traveluster July 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM #

You don’t want to mess with bison! There is a really funny video from a road trip I took with my husband’s family eons ago (when we were dating in college) while at the Tetons (or maybe it was Yellowstone). The bison were on either side of us, trying to cross the road in front of the red suburban we were in. There was all of this hilarious commentary in the car about separating the pack, and I blurt out, “Is it like a bull? Does it see red and charge?” referring to our red car. Hilarious! But at the time, I was really scared! Don’t mess with bison! Or elephants! Moose, huh? We have tons of deer here in Nashville. They’re like squirrels, they’re so plentiful. I think they’re lovely, but you have to watch for them on the road (my husband was hit by one in his car once- literally, the deer sideswiped him!) I think a moose would do a lot more damage though! I didn’t know there were moose in Idaho. That’s pretty neat-o.